Monday, April 26, 2010

Days daze...+


I feel like I've crammed about 4 days into today... Maybe that's what wombats do- ergo the cuboidal dos... Today was supposed to be the last day good weather for the week but I am trying to work on the book... Anyway - got up at 4.30 worked until sunup, woke B, went to jetty for an hour to catch trevally - got one flathead and 3 shrimp, worked, went to doctor (another hour and a half) wrote my MGC blog post, and set off for our clamming and oyster spot - arrived just before 3 - collected clams walked up to get oysters, and then legged it back to drive to John's place to cut firewood before dark. Filled the ute, set off for Patriarch's Inlet to try for flounder - the tide was too high and the moon quite full, but we gave it a go anyway - 3 swimming prawn scooped (to add to the 3 shrimp) and one flounder (2 others seen, but they were too small)later we headed back home avoiding 2 wombats, 7 wallaby and 1 possum - I cleaned the fish, B put the clams in fake sea water and then I cooked the morning flathead and some chips. And at 9.20 started to write the blog... I find myself too tired to think. Must be the intent staring into the ripples at the slivery shadows of fish and the walking about 2 km - all knee to groin deep in icy water, pushing against the tide... and a couple of km to fetch oysters... not just thinking about the seige of Constantinople in the current book so I think I'll go and bath and go to bed.

Tomorrow is supposed to be better - we have some Olive trees (with the possibility of pickling our own olives) we're going to look at at lunch time, but it is supposed blow and rain. Good for desk work.

5 comments:

  1. In the Southern US there is a saying "too wet to plow". Which works even if it means too wet to fish so I might as well do something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the joy of semi retirement ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of that, Tantalus. Actually - like you, I'll probably be just as busy or moreso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Too wet to fish is exactly why I never want to be a full time fish farmer again(or commercial fisherman). It's never too wet for those poor bastards. Been there, done that got cold and wet to the hands and feet lose all feeling point too often. In the meanwhile I have a full freezer, with close to my quota of a lot of species (and we're thinking we're going to need a second freezer for meat and game birds...) and no need to go out... except cabin fever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canned (or jarred), pickled, smoked, dried, jerky... there's a bunch of old-fashioned ways to preserve stuff that don't require a freezer? I suspect you're way ahead of me, but I know sometimes people don't think about the ways that were used before. Hum -- Do you have a place for a cold cellar? It's not a freezer, but even in the summer in Ohio, Grandma's root cellar was chilly? And she kept a lot of things in it...

    ReplyDelete