Sunday, July 25, 2010

Weather control

Now as it is fairly well established that the weather can be entirely different at the back of the house and in front of the house (with bright sunshine one side and cold rain the other, at times) here, and you can tell if the wind is blowing by whether the Rosellas are being knocked off their perches on tree-top twigs, we have decided that the answer may be to take advantage of the light construction methods prevalent here, and dis-assemble the house and turn the the good-weather side to wherever we want to go. As sort of inverse of Geomancy, I am calling the arcane science houseomancy. Also with superglue we should be able to stop the wind by affixing the Rosellas to the gum twigs. The paradisal weather status ofthe island now being assured, Clare took a walk in the Darling range through Houland's gap, where I believe it was howling. I stayed warm and added a chapter, Barbs drove up to the top and met her. I'm sorry that I didn't go along, but I really needed some quiet focus time. All the pics are the same day with an hour or so - and see the weather change. It's a very different vegetation up there.

with some grasslands and far more open

3 comments:

  1. Hi D & B.

    Are you familiar with the author Lillian Beckwith ?

    She was a school teacher (I think) who took time off and went to live on the Isle of Skye and on Soay back in the 1940s. She wrote a series of books about her life there e.g. ‘The Hills is Alive’, ‘The Sea for Breakfast’, ‘A rope – in case’ etc.

    I’ve read most of her books and they caught my imagination as much for the quirkiness and self sufficiency of the locals as their ability to find a use for virtually anything.

    You might find parallels with your new life and adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. I have most of them. I did find her a little 'condescending to the locals' but there are similarities in the isolation and characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there is no one here to "wash down with whitewash once a year"!

    ReplyDelete