Thursday, September 9, 2010

Plinky-plonky frogs and girly stuff

The seasons turn. Now is the time for plinky-plonky frogs - which sound rather like one of the home-made fishing-line and oil-can guitars which I made as kid. I am particularly musically gifted at tuneless plinky-plonky noises and so the frogs in the fields. It's a beautifully eerie out there with the myriad stars burning down cold and clear, and the dark alive with the sound.

And our stuff arrived at the PO - we got our cordless drill and our other parcel. John-the-post-office took a look at the cordless drill (in its carrying case) and said to Barbs - "huh, more girly stuff, eh?" I think we'll get a chainsaw through the post next. Or maybe a jack-hammer? Still, I now have a mitre-saw and a drill - which I felt very bare without.

Anyway, I took Kate to my writer's group today, and then we took her to our Scottish romp... er dancing. Poor lass, I think she needs a holiday to recover from us!

5 comments:

  1. Apropos of nothing... one of the Japanese TV shows did a squid fishing trip recently. They stressed two things. First, night time fishing, with a string of over-sized electric bulbs shining. They string them the length of the boat, and they are very bright. I got the impression that they believe these attract squid? The other thing was the fishing "lure." It looked like a narrow spoon handle to me -- although about double the length of one. Various colors. And the end of the thing where the spoon would be was a double ring of spines, just about like thick straight pins set at an angle. So if you slid your hand down the handle, you'd get caught on one or more of the spines. They "fished" these with several on a line, dropping it down near the boat, then jigging it up and down. And when the squid started hitting, they brought in several at a time. And the squid really squirted, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how we go for squid on the SE American coast. Though it's mostly for bait.

    I do not think I could function without my cordless drill, my miter saw and my mini table saw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wharf that we fish on, used to have a light at the end of it, and we have been told the squiding was better when it could be switched on. Unfortunately it no longer works, but we are still catching, some squid anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vehicle battery, pole, 10 gauge wire, 12v light fixture.

    I think it would be worth the investment, you could get most of it from a set of jumper cables.

    Turning on the lights amde an immediate difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried with my flounder light but we actually didn't catch that day. I DO know it works, but we run pretty close to our legal quota of squid in the freezer right now anyway. If we start bartering more, I'll move to a set of bright lights on the full tide.

    Being nearly tool-less HURT. Better now. I got some nice locking pliers (vice grips they call them in SA) in a bunch of sizes too, which is a joy.

    ReplyDelete