Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ten forward nine back... CRAWLSPACE!!!!

Well, it has been absolutely awful weather today - no possibility of walking up the mountain. (Flinders was rather Obelix's Switzerland today - Flat. To all appearances anyway.) So I had to brave the horrifying task of the shed. Hey we've only BEEN here 14 months, and the stuff 12.. That's hardly trying. Everything there was no room for was sort of shoved in there - a wise solution! But space-wise I needed a place to sort out the wetsuit collection (I think 17 wetsuits in various sizes (from 8 year old kids to XL)/ thicknesses) All elderly. Mostly second hand. All still getting used.) This involved a lot of that tedious messing around in n-dimensional space because there is so little room (and it was raining outside) that every item had to be moved to move ANYTHING, often up, over, under sideways AND through. By some form of topological miricle we got it done, and I now have a space for the gas stove, a work-bench and a hanging cupboard full of wetsuits, waders, BCs etc.
Feeling like I achieved something... I've just turned in a book (so turn in money is due), I'm due a cheque for a short story, Barbs having been working rather a lot, and with living off the land and having stocked up on the basic dry goods in bulk very cheaply with Peter's container load... I felt some headway was being made.

Then B got the post, and instead of the cheque I hoped for... and we got more than a thousand dollars of bills - all essentials - Phone, internet, Vet, and Car repair and tyre... still, when you're careful about spending (I'm a writer: translate = earn 8% of the US cover price of each paperback. Payment is in US$ (not good now)is often erratic, and very widely spaced) and live largely off the land, these sort bills about double our expenses this month, so it hurts.

But then today, Finally YAY!!!! The Kindle version of CRAWLSPACE AND OTHER STORIES - A novella and a novellette in the RATS BATS AND VATS Universe (and a few other shorts)that I wrote with Eric Flint went live on Amazon. And as we've done this ourselves, it means I can track sales. Which means... yeah. I got to see the first sale has happened! So I'm $1.75 up! :-) I know. It's a drop in the ocean but it felt really really good. I detest the vast lag phase in paper publishing (typically you may not know for a year-15 months how much you've sold, or if you will earn anything at all. This is a relic of old manual warehouse record systems, but with modern barcode/computer inventory, it's really a little archaic.) I LOVE being able to get some idea of what is going on.

Onwards!!!

16 comments:

  1. One more in the bag ;-) I would like to see more in the forlorn universe though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out. Will it work on non-Kindles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, Dave! Now I just have to get an e-book reader.. lol

    Adam G (from FB)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And another sale! Good luck with book, I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I buy it to read on my iPod touch? Hmmm... off to research as I really would like to read it/ support you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can download the Kindle reading application to your PC or mobile phone (if you have an android or an iPhone). So even if you don't have a Kindle you can read it on your computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Kindle. Just one button to click and a minute later there it is :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Balloonatic,

    the Kindle app downloads it onto the android. It is then fairly easy to get it off the android SD card (its in /sdcard/kindle ). I imported into Calibre and converted it. Then I copied the epub back to the Android and imported it into Aldiko no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew - Thanks :-) I have a story arc to a sequel to THE FORLORN in my head, and it is possible that when I get the rights back (and the Forlorn will then come down from the free library - it was the second book there, so fair enough I think)that I might write it and re-release the Forlorn along with the sequel. It kind of depends on how many copies of other work Kindle sells.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris- I am such a noob at this. I have no idea. See Francis's comment! I want to get it up on other places and in other formats too, though. Learning curve at this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adam G - there's a free kindle emulator for reading on computer available on Amazon's site

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cedar - I think this is it -http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mkt_lnd?docId=1000490441

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheryl - hope it gives something to read when you pack all your books :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any chance of Crawlspace appearing in a non-Kindle version? [Before anyone asks, the Kindle-reading apps don't function on any of my current platforms, and while I like Dave's books, I'm going to avoid buying yet another computer just to read them.]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reverance Pavane - short answer, yes, long answer you will have to wait (or I can sell you a word document for a green frog :-)

    ReplyDelete