Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I have all but finished with the appendixes to THE STEAM-MOLE. Just the glossary of terms for the copy editor to ignore so he/she/it can ask about. I honestly don't know if anyone but me reads them, but I do feel if anyone makes a derogatory 'light' or 'airport reading' comment again I'll probably attempt to make their ears into knee ornaments for them. I try very hard to make my books easy to read. That doesn't actually mean the thought, research and layers aren't there. It's just that' you're confusing the above with 'turgid' Ok grumble over. The dawn from the trip up to feed the horses was truly so beautiful as to make you catch breath. Or maybe that was the cold. It was impossible to photograph, especially as I had not brought by camera along.



I shot another wallaby this evening, so the dogs are in tucker again. I might mince some of this one for us. It was well shot, bled, butchered. I'm getting there. We have more variety than they do, so they come first.

oh and for the department of weird eggs...


6 comments:

  1. I think you got shorted, and that's no Yolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't crack up to be much. And yes, no yolk. I hope this isn't one of my chickens coming to the end of its supply!

      Delete
    2. Then you get to have chicken soup! I've always heard that older birds have more flavor anyways.

      Delete
    3. true, but none of them are that elderly.

      Delete
  2. More calcium. Throw some calcium supplement in front of the Chuckabago and as it progresses they will get to making bigger eggs. Calcium carbonate is the primary component of egg shells...not enough of that and the egg is formed with what is available. We used to use ground oyster shell at the Home Place; use the Flinders analog. Ground limestone is also used...but since we could find mounds of old shells why buy? If you have a bank of old shells simply pick a bushel and then grind it to about 1/8" in size.

    This is why pullets become lame, when they don't have enough natural calcium they deplete their own bones. This is why you'll find stew hens with broken legs. But Thomas P has a point. At about 3 years their production rate declines greatly. So to stew.

    That's the basis for the American tradition of Young Hen for Sunday and Stewing Hen on Wednesday. Both of which align with worship service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing. Young hens at molt will produce fewer eggs...if they have enough calcium they will be bigger then usual, but fewer in number. Otherwise you get tiny eggs.Regardless of molt stage calcium is important.

    ReplyDelete