Friday, February 8, 2013

drying, chips, nets

Today I did some work on the shed purlins and next time I have any stupid ideas like this remind me what 'summer' means. Oh well, done now. I also put my first tomatoes in the dehydrator. Maybe I put a bit much garlic on them... There ares some beetroot in now, with no garlic. I wanted beetroot chips but suspect these will be too thick. No worries, there is lots more beetroot. Quilly's beetroot and egg pickle next, except I'm down to one laying chook. Replacement will have to happen, but later.

I've been looking at the cost of making a beach seine net. It's not cheap - probably 300 dollars or so starting from scratch (I have the rope and the net weights already, so we're looking at the floats - about 50 dollars and netting - which varies a lot in price depending on the type. And then the cord... and my labour - which per se I won't bill myself for, but still needs to actually happen. The problem is I have no real idea how much use it will be, and how hard it will be to use - I have only used much bigger nets, multi-filament fine-mesh ones which take a good few people to pull. I'm guessing the 50 meter one - legal size for my permit will be relatively ineffectual, but also quite easy for say 4 people. Still means getting 4 able bodied people to haul, and a canoe or small boat to lay it, at night, preferably. Seines are fascinating to an ichthyologist, and - if you use fine mesh knotless nets and a bunt left in water, relatively gentle on the catch, meaning anything you don't want can be returned with minimal damage. Hand hauling also means the net 'pauses' allowing any fish smaller than the mesh to escape easily (I disapprove of mechacanical rapid hauls because they catch some very tiny fish.) If it was over to me I would also limit the weight of the bottom line. On sand-surf beaches an ordinary net does nothing the sea doesn't to the bottom, and only to a tiny patch. But with really heavy weights - only practical with mechanical hauls)

No comments:

Post a Comment